Thursday, March 15, 2007

#23 (Week 9)

I am glad I could finish this program. It was very worthwhile, though I did not have the time to really devote to each section that I would have liked. I enjoyed learning about wikis and blogs the most. The RSS feed was also very interesting and I could see using all these technology in my professional work. I would say that the program was overall very good in making me aware of some of the new technologies, though I wouldn't frame it as assisting in my life-long learning. The sections relate to tagging was probably the most interesting and unexpected. I need more time to consider the real value of the tagging systems, though I can see how users might like having their own system, especially for personal use. That OCLC is promoting this type of technology is extremely interesting and something we need follow in the profession. I also enjoyed checking out UTUBE and I will use Library Thing.

I think this program could be improved with more sessions to introduce the first few lessons. Also, the interfaces have changed while some of the directions have not, and for mid-level professional, more instruction is needed. At least the instructions should be more explicit. I found that several of the sources we reviewed lacked really good instructions.

I would be interested in this type of program again, though, I would prefer more concentrated effort on a particular topic, especially design of the blog, RSS feed, and wikis. Some of the other areas were less relevant to my work or in my personal life.


Thanks for offering this program.

1 comment:

Virtual Services Team said...

Congratulations on completing the 23 things. Thanks for taking the time to provide your input on how the program could be improved.